



THE ANU OBSERVER

Meeting of The ANU Observer Board

Date: 06/0/21

Opening of Meeting: 17:03

Item 1 - Attendance and Apologies

Present: Everyone

Absent:

Item 2 - Acknowledgement of Country

Delivered by Konstantine.

Item 3 - Previous Action Items

Konstantine to go to the bank with the new trustees.

Sam: Couldn't organise a meeting with commbank

Kon: If you can do that by next week that would be great since we have a deadline

Helena: My card still hasn't arrived

Angus: Don't have card either

Jackie: Has access

Angus to send email to uni for MHFA.

Angus: I'll talk in my report

Check with Declan if he really wants to do it, Maddy to see if she is interested and ask for COIs.

Helena: We sent a group message to both Declan and maddy and Maddy seemed slightly less keen. We asked Declan if he was absolutely sure but have not heard back from him as of yet.

Kon: We can always call a board meeting earlier if we need to

Item 4 - Reports

Chair Report: Konstantinos Katsanis

Most of the public officer work involved communicating with both the Vice Chancellor's (University Experience) office and the Financial Business Services regarding our payment, which we eventually received in the end of December and managed to do our final purchases for the year. We also paid our legal fees, the auditing process was finalised, and we changed the financial trustees.

We submitted our revised uncommitted funds request document, and our SSAF bid, and the university was satisfied with the structure. They informed us that they will be revising the SSAF process, and will try to find a way to monitor how money is currently spent. This is good news for us, as we can provide our input in their decision. I would also be interested in working with other organisations in an effort to make the SSAF process fair for all, and somehow manage to ensure that we will be receiving the amount we need. For the moment, I think anything between \$50-\$60k is the minimum, therefore I want to create a strategy to ensure that we will maintain that for the years to come. I would also like to come in touch with the university to ensure that all executive committees are receiving fair induction into the SSAF process, as smaller organisations, like ours, which lack a financial controller, might find it harder to understand the process without any prior experience.

Kon: Passes chair to Angus

Angus: Would you like to speak to your report

Kon: I'll take it was read

Secretary Report: Konstantinos Katsanis

Nothing much to report. I have only drafted the agenda for this meeting. I am aiming to decide on a date for a Governance Training and a Strategic Meeting in this Board Meeting. I will also start recreating a structure for the Google Drive, starting next week. Lastly, I will review our Constitution and policies, so I can suggest amendments in our Strategic Meeting and future Board Meetings.

Moved by Sam, seconded by Jacqueline. Both reports passed.

News Content Executive Report: Helena Burke

This is my first report as Executive editor, so please bear with.

Productivity has been expectedly lower over the past few months given we're all on break. Despite this, we have produced a number of high-quality articles that I have been very pleased with.

The unfair dismissal article was a great example of a strong investigative-type piece and highlights the need for the news editors to follow court hearing schedules.

Our coverage of NatCon was thorough, especially considering the lack of reporters and resources that we had to cover it. The 'summarisation' approach to reporting on StuPol is a format I think we should continue to explore as I believe it makes the topic more digestible and accessible for the average student.

The 2020 Wrap-up article demonstrated a quality result from close collaboration between the news and visual team. I intend to encourage more articles in this format. However, if this is to occur, attribution beyond a notation at the end of the article seems necessary for visual team members who's graphics make up a sizeable portion of the overall article in the way that Joseph's did.

Readership is slightly lacking at the moment. I am investigating ways in which this can be improved, and I am hopeful that Facebook's new 'Business Suite' function may help us return to the levels of reach that we were achieving before the algorithm was changed.

We are yet to officially appoint our fourth news editor. Keeley, Brandon, and I have a current reporter in mind but will need until the next board meeting to finalise everything. Until this time I believe we will continue to fair well with only three editors.

The editorial board has a number of exciting plans for 2021. These are as follows:

- Plans to meet with ANU Media/James Giggacher to discuss deadlines, communication, and conduct between our two organisations. I intend to communicate to Giggacher that his expectations of 2-3 business days to provide comments do not reflect the industry norm for public relations (one business day or even a few hours is reasonable and accepted).
- Greater output than 2020 (111 articles in one year is impressive, and this will be challenging to beat). This will be achieved by having a larger number of reporters, and producing articles that are shorter in length when concerning news that is highly time-sensitive or about topics that are more light-hearted and/or less complicated.
- Training documents and procedures are in the works for new reporters.

- Editors will be assigned to reporters on an article-by-article basis.
- Recruitment for new reporters will commence from Market day onwards. We intend to acquire 5-7 new people.

I am immensely excited for the year ahead and am open to any and all suggestions from other members of the board.

Helena: I'll take my report as read

Kon: Quick question, I noticed you guys took down an article, it was the CECS one.

Helena: Brandon do you want to explain that

Brandon: We publish it, which was like saying that it was a penalty. After we published we got an email from ANU media that completely outdated the information in the article so we decided to take down the article.

Kon: I found it a little bit odd because i saw other news outlets putting out information after it. If you thought it was a good course of action I think that was well done. Are you guys of any official procedure in taking things down?

Keeley: If we have to change an article we put in a small bit of text explaining the changes

Helena: The fact that new information came out 15 minutes after we published meant that we were able to just take it down without explaining changes. I think there is a procedure we can talk about with as editors.

Kon: let me know if you need any help if you want to draft anything

Helena: Can I speak to one part of my report. Just the thing about close collaboration, is there some way we can include a second attribution thing for when something has a lot of graphics and a lot of work has been done by a visual member (to Angus)

Angus: I'm looking into it but it currently only allows for us to put it one attribution

Helena: I thinks its important to have it clear who is responsible for what.

Moved by: Angus, Seconded by Jacquie. Report passes.

Visual Content Executive Report: Samuel Wright

Not much to report on but I hope everyone had a great Christmas and is ready for the new year. The team for visual is quite small at the moment, though I will be exploring hiring options as we get closer to O-week. At the minute my goal is to have advertisements up and ready to go for roles within visual by O-week so that any new students can sign up before they get bogged down with uni work. Shout out to Bec and Jo who have been working hard at holding up visual team while I try and figure out the basics of my role. It's fair to say that, as someone who has only ever studied humanities, sinking my teeth into such a tech focused role as the visual content editor will be a difficult but hopefully fun journey. I have worked with Kon on purchasing new equipment, something during which Kon gave me some much appreciated guidance. We purchased a gimbal, a surge protector, zoom recorders and a phone for live streaming among other things. At the minute our focus as a team is assisting news team, but I am working up a few ideas for visual projects, most of which will still be able to happen even if everyone is still studying remotely. I'm sure I'll have a little more to say at our meeting on Wednesday.

Sam: take it as read.

Brandon: Question - what phone did we get?

Sam: Vivo x50 Lite.

Brandon: Same phone as with the one with the contact?

Kon: No, we have another phone.

Mover: Angus

Secunder: Helena

Passes unanimously

Finance Executive Report: Jacqueline Du

- All of our remaining 2020 budget has been exhausted within the requisite timeframe, well done. We did go over budget by a little bit, so I took it out of our 2021 allocation.
- Phone Card Holders have been purchased and should arrive in time for Market Day.
- In terms of 2021 spending, we did cut into this budget slightly. The only line item significantly affected is Advertising & Merchandise, of which we have spent \$183 already.
- Again, would just like to reiterate to everyone – PLEASE send me the receipts from any purchases you make. Ideally I would prefer if you checked with me first that we still have the sufficient funds for it but I will also try to make this excel spreadsheet available so you can check it yourself if need be.
- Note to self: Figure out how to get the tax invoice for Adobe Suite.

Helena: I think Jacquie is frozen

Jacque: I will speak to a few parts of my report since some things have changed since last night. All our remaining 2020 budget was exhausted within the required time frame. We went over a little bit so I took this out of our 2021 budget. I just wanted to reiterate to everyone please send me the receipt for any purchases that you make. (Sharing screen: Explains the graph) Kon I just wanted to run by you, this is our budget allocation for the year... I don't know where this \$3,000 came from.

Kon: It's an interesting one. I wonder if some stuff might be miscalculated from previous years cause I don't know...if the credit note was as accurate as it was supposed to be...I'm actually not very sure, I looked at that too...I'm pretty sure my numbers were correct... our second instalment was supposed to be... they transferred to us about \$13000, I'm not sure if it should have actually have been less than that.

Jacque: It'll be fine for now but it'll be an issue towards the end of the year. This is the budget that we put together as a team

Kon: oh wait go back. So yeah the roll over shouldn't be a different number

Jacque: Maybe I haven't summed this properly. Correct, that's my fault with excel. I'd really like for you guys to run things by me but I understand its the start of the year but just make sure there is enough money for anything that you purchase

Kon: I saw how much we have in the account and I feel we should have less than that given the expenses. I'm not very sure what happened there but as I said it might be left over stuff from previous years. We've passed the audit so I don't think we have to worry about it as much

Jacque: Every payment we have made matches up.

Kon: International transaction fee applies to Slack, Digital ocean... Just put it together, it's not really very big of a number.

Angus: Last digit ocean invoice came in on 22nd? So that matches up

Kon: I think the invoice would not include the international transaction fee

Kon: Any questions for Jacqui

Angus: Do you want digital ocean invoices as I get them?

Jacqui: Yes

Brandon: I have a question. What is the \$183 over budget?

Jacqui: That was just the phone card holders. We wanted it for market day so we got it out of last years budget and the next thing we are working on is t shirts

Report moved by Helena, seconded by Brandon. Passes unanimously

Community Executive Report: Angus Brooks

This is my first report as Community Executive. There are a number of things I have been working on during the summer period so far, here are the main ones.

I have reached out to Benjamin-Henry from UniLodge, and will try and arrange a meeting this week to discuss a number of issues with our office. These include appliance testing and tagging, signage, maintenance, and card access. If there is any other issues that should be raised please let me know.

I have been working with the University on arranging mental health first aid training for interested individuals. The University seems to be keen to work with us and I am confident that we will be able to be trained in house at the ANU. It is currently unclear what the cost will be. I am considering reaching out to other student organisations at the University such as Woroni, ANU Sport etc to see if they would be interested in doing a combined session to bring the collective cost down. I will discuss this more at the meeting as a item for discussion.

Angus: I'll take my report mostly as read. Any questions?

Kon: has Benjamin Henry come back to you?

Angus: I sent him an email on Monday and so did he and he was ignored me

Angus: Any other questions?

Mover: Jacquie. Secunder: Keeley. Passes unanimously

Web Executive Report: Angus Brooks

I have very little to report. I am currently working on the email list infrastructure in place for market day.

Angus: I'll take it entirely as read

Mover: Jacqui Secunder: Helena Passes unanimously

Item 5 - Items for Decision

Item 6 - Items for Discussion

6.1 Mental Health First Aid training

Angus: So I spoke to HR who organise staff training and then I spoke to the student wellbeing team. They seem pretty happy to work with us but they aren't sure about the cost yet. The bigger the session the less the cost would be because the more its shared between the people. I haven't spoken with any other SSAF organisations but they might already have their own thing going on.

Kon: I think that is a good idea if it is going to bring down the cost. Just keep us updated with the situation

Angus: I'd like for quite a few people to be able to do it. It's quite time consuming, its a couple of days long

Kon: I think I said in slack that all of the editors should do it and obviously you (Angus) because that is what you are doing.

Brandon: What sort of dates would we be looking at?

Angus: No set dates, the ball is very much in our court in terms of setting dates. They prefer to do it in person but they can do it over zoom if need be. Out of curiosity, where is everyone currently.

Helena: Byron bay

Keeley: Just got back from Byron bay

Jacqui: I'm in Melbourne

Brandon: Earliest I could be back is Feb 15

Kon: I'm just taking notes of those dates for the training

6.2 Email distribution lists/market day

Angus: Is this my email lists? So I spoke about this before but one of the ideas that Jacqui has had and has spoken to me about but our market days in the past have been very awful to say the least. What I want our big focus to be this year is getting email addresses and signing people up to a mailing list. We would have different explainers targeted at different student groups. One of the things I wanted to talk about is news team writer explainer articles and visual team making graphics and videos to prepare.

Helena: We talked about it a little bit, so we were thinking of having a large mailing list with various options. Tick "are you a first year" and we sent them things accordingly. So we do not end up with 40 different sign up sheets. Also new at ANU rather than first year.

Jacq: If you are not new, but wanna know, then tick that box, too.

Helena: We've had lots of explainers, so we will ask the Board to see if you have any new suggestions.

Angus: Systems of ANU, would be a nice one, going through the various programs. How to enrol in wattle and ISIS.

Jacq: I liked building names and stuff like that.

Sam: For a while we've been wanting to do a livestream or show around Kambri. Now we have good gear (phone and stuff). Also exploring Coombs and other interesting buildings. Will give new officers a chance to get acquainted with everything.

Kon: Video explainers.

Hel: Video explainer about how to enrol and stuff.

Jacq: On the mailing list - one more tickbox for monthly or weekly option.

Brandon: Unsubscribe.

Angus: There will be.

6.3 Governance Training and Strategic Meeting

Kon: Just wanted to set two dates. How does everyone's schedules look?

Angus: Do you need specific dates?

Kon: It will be a more Observer related training not an external one like last free

Helena: Has the January 15 date been scrapped

Kon: Originally I was thinking mid January

Brandon: Yeah I've got work experience until mid February

Kon: Will you be free on the weekends?

Brandon: I could do the morning but that might be quite exhausting if we do it then

Keeley: I'm not free on weekends

Kon: They aren't going to take all day

Kon: Usually they run this at the end of the year so it should have been run already.

Last year it was run in February. If it's going to happen then maybe it will happen in February or March. Even if ANU does provide us with governance training it doesn't mean that it is relevant to our structure. Hayley has made some notes and we will get you to read them before doing governance training. Pretty much this is what the board is, is talking about strategy and risk and all those little nice things. Originally I was thinking mid January but now I'm thinking that may be late notice. Are there any dates people think they will be unable to commit to?

Angus: I got Fenner stuff

Kon: Are you going to be busy at that time too?

Jacqui: I'll be coming up to Canberra on 28th

Kon: Helena how's your work and stuff.

Helena: I'll be back in Canberra on the 10th, I get my shifts

6.4 Google Drive Maintenance Date

Kon: I think I mentioned in the previous meeting that we wanted to fix the google drive. I don't there will be any kind of disruption to what you guys are doing. Maybe after the 14th or 15th of January you guys will move to the new format. ANY questions or clarification let me know

Helena: If you do make any major changes can you let us know?

Kon: they will be pretty common names but obviously the folder structure is not going to be the same it is going to be much more neat. If there is no reason to upload something to the drive please don't otherwise it might get lost

6.5 Policies and Procedures

Kon: Just quickly just want to ask that if anyone has any policies or procedures that they want to be changed just let me know. We definitely have to pass some constitutional changes so just let me know and we can work something out.

Item 7 - Other Business

Item 8 - Recall Actionables

Closing of Meeting: 18:20pm