



# THE ANU OBSERVER

## **Agenda for Meeting of The ANU Observer Board Meeting**

Date: 17/04/2024

Opening of meeting: 7:40pm

### **Item 1-Attendance**

James

Ryan

Anneysha

Shé

Sophie

Maddy

### **Item 2 - Acknowledgement of Country**

By James Weatherman

I wish to acknowledge the Ngunnawal peoples as traditional custodians of the land we are meeting on and recognise any other people or families with connection to the lands of the ACT and region. We also acknowledge and respect their continuing culture and the contribution they make to the life of this city and this region, and pay our respects to elders past, present and emerging.

### **Item 3 - Items for Decision**

*3.1 Vote to confirm all current members of each team as officers of Observer.*

- Seconded by maddy.
- Passed by unanimous vote.

### **Item 4: Things to discuss**

*4.1 - IB meeting and potential legalities*

Shé: Still no words about meeting with IB. Talking back and forth with them and organising a physical meeting with the news editors. Main issue is whether they want us to spend the night, and what the legalities are around insurance.

Sophie: I do not think we can go along with them.

Ryan: In the past, when we have sent reporters on trips, there was no insurance.

Sophie: Two different visual groups: One group does drop off, other does endpoint. It is feasible to do this without putting any team members in a position where we need insurance.

Ryan: IB should cover as many costs as possible. A livestream for endpoint could also be another option.

#### *4.2 - URGENT aircon cleaning*

Ryan: \$200 servicing of air conditioning, can I book that Maddy? We were told by inspectors that this was urgent.

Maddy: That is fine.

#### *4.3 - Web-related tasks and updates*

##### *4.3.1. Slack roles + demo for news editors*

##### *4.3.1.1. Can repeat this in a future news meeting for all reporters.*

Anneysha: I have created roles on Slack for the three different teams (board, news, visual). This is so everything gets streamlined.

Ryan: Maybe it could be helpful for other teams to see other teams' content.

Anneysha: They would be able to see it, but they would not have notifications.

Ryan: Great. I do not see any issue with that.

Anneysha: Could you please inform the team members about this?

##### *4.3.2. Facebook permissions, privacy*

##### *4.3.2.1. Forgotten password? Here's what to do.*

Anneysha: If you think you do not have access to facebook, please do not press forgot password. This would change the password for everybody. Reach out to me instead.

### *4.3.3. Website updates (several tasks completed, more to do)*

#### *4.3.3.1. Hiring a web person*

Anneysha: Not able to upload all agendas due to software issues.

Ryan: We could delete some older agendas and start from scratch.

James: Could lead to transparency issues, will have a look.

Anneysha: I am also looking into hiring a web assistant. It would be a volunteer role, a couple hours a fortnight and not too much time for them. They would be working on Wordpress.

Ryan: That should be fine but would they be eligible for honoraria? Answer: We can hire an officer under any team. So, they would be eligible for honoraria. James, can you double check

#### *4.3.4. Quarterly purge complete!*

Anneysha: Purged a lot of people from previous years on Slack, which was weighing on the budget. Planning on making this a process every three months to ensure security is tight.

### *4.4 - Quarterly report (DUE 19th of APRIL) and SSAF Council meeting on 29th April*

Maddy: The payment that Ryan sent me at the beginning of the year, was not aligned with Richard's internal budget. I have to re-adjust a later payment period to account for this surplus. We are actually an editor down, so this period's surplus is more than last.

### *4.5 - Nuria Olive final allowance figure was short \$200*

Ryan: I will inform Nuria of this.

### *4.6 - Status of SSAF reserve funding for Shé's live streaming capabilities*

Ryan: I would like to talk about this at the thing, so would it be possible to get this invoice posted Maddy? So, Shé can purchase his gear.

### *4.7 Reimbursement of Rowey and Ryan for Snacks during Mackenzies leave*

Maddy: This is authorised.

#### *4.8 Payment of allowances*

Maddy: Will be done tomorrow morning.

#### *4.9 Creation of content exec email*

Ryan: Do you know how we have an editorial and board email? We were hoping to have a content executives email. For the editors and Shé.

Anneysha: There is a limit on how many we can do, but I will look into it.

### **Item 5-Other Business**

#### **5.1. Door sign**

Anneysha: Can we have a door sign for if somebody is in the office? Like 'occupied/not occupied'?

Ryan: Maybe we could have a 'decal' like others.

Maddy: Let me check the budget.

#### **5.2. Podcast EOI form to be finalised**

Sophie: I am putting together a google EOI form for whether anyone is interested in joining the podcast. It has various questions like interests and availability.

### **Meeting closed:**

8:25pm.

### **Next board meeting:**

01/04/2024 7:30pm.