



# THE ANU OBSERVER

## **Agenda for Meeting of The ANU Observer Board Meeting**

Date: 19/03/25

Opening of meeting: 6:15pm

### **Item 1- Attendance**

Rowey

Anneysha

Sophie

Maddy

She

Saffron

Mackenzie

Darcy (via zoom)

### **Item 2 - Acknowledgement of Country**

By Rowey Worner-Butcher

I wish to acknowledge the Ngunnawal and Ngambri peoples as traditional custodians of the land we are meeting on and recognise any other people or families with connection to the lands of the ACT and region. We also acknowledge and respect their continuing culture and the contribution they make to the life of this city and this region, and pay our respects to elders past, present and emerging.

### **Item 3: Observer General Meeting 2025**

#### ***3.1 - Dates and Times and Returning Officer***

Saffron: Just wanted to discuss date, time and who our returning officer is?

Rowey: Tom Foley. I'll send you the email.

#### ***3.2 - Positions Available for Election***

Community Exec, Finance.

Rowey: 4th editor is something we should chat about more. It's definitely a good idea, I also acknowledge that the collective pay however will go down.

Maddy: I can give you figures if you'd like?

Rowey: Yes please. Also, can I ask a question – how are payments decided/allocated?

Maddy: In the policy, editors and visual are paid equal to one, finance equal to 0.75, and secretary, community exec and web exec are 0.25.

Rowey: Honestly, I feel that web exec is severely underpaid.

All agree.

Sophie: I think that should change right away.

Maddy: So, if we keep it all the same but add another editor, the current pay will go down to around \$1k, secretary for example would go down to \$430. If I was to increase web exec, this would bring the 0.25 down to \$489.

Rowey: I definitely think that web exec should get paid more. But I do then realise that this will decrease everyone's payments. Same goes for the addition of a new editor. I also fully understand anyone who may object to this pay increase. However, not adding a new editor would mean that Darcy, Sophie and I stay on until the end of the year and are left with a full new turnaround at the Semester 2 OGM.

Maddy: Another option is to redistribute finances going towards pay and honoraria. However, we would have to clear this with the university etc. and this would not look great for us.

Rowey: Agreed, I think if we increase those funds it wouldn't be great. I do think that raising pay for web exec and adding another editor is quite necessary. Especially if we want our organisation to run well, and we've been through quite a lot we want to have a smooth sailing handover process really.

Sophie: Yeah, for example Ryan was the only editor when Rowey and I became editors.

Rowey: We definitely do want people to have longevity and a desire/ability to stay for the whole year/term. I think when we put these positions up, we should state that the term is a year and those elected should stand by those terms.

Darcy: I just wanted to chime in and state that I agree with the lessening of pay for the sake of a new editor and raising web exec pay.

Rowey: Is there a way for this to only affect editors? Because I feel like it's a little unfair that changes within our team affect everyone else.

Sophie: I agree, for example She does a massive amount of work for us and I feel lowering the pay would be unfair.

Rowey: So do we all agree that the ideal situation would be to keep this just for affecting the editors?

All agreed.

Rowey: Great. So just to confirm, available positions are finance exec, community exec and a fourth editor.

Darcy: When will the newly elected members start?

Maddy: Definitely at the start of semester 2.

#### **Item 4: Continuation of Discussion Regarding Community Executive Position**

*4.1 - Item 10.3.1 of the ANU Observer Constitution - "Elected Officials will hold their positions from 1 December in the year of their election, until 30 November the following year"*

#### **Item 5: Our Experts Have Observed Podcast**

Saffron: I just wanted to know what's been going on with the podcast.

Mack: I'm sending out emails today.

Rowey: So who are the people you're interviewing?

Mack: Jenna and Jamie. Both interested in producing. Would I be able to have someone in with me for the interview? She, should I give them a sample audio to edit?

She: Yes definitely.

Anneysha: I have a friend who is a producer of the Woroni radio so I can ask about if they would be able to help with the training process?

### **Item 6: Reporter access to facebook page**

Rowey: I saw that both Nick and James had access to the Facebook page, but when we tried to give our reporters access we weren't able to get the permissions.

Anneysha: Yeah that's because I have the permission.

Rowey: Awesome, so do I need to give you their names for permission?

Anneysha: Yes, I just need to see who has the permissions higher up to the Facebook page.

Rowey: Perfect, it would definitely be really handy if Darcy, Sophie and I could have permissions on that page too.

Sophie: Also, once everyone's added I think Anneysha it'd be really good if you could come in and give us a chat on cybersafety and how to handle the access to the Facebook page.

Rowey: I definitely think it'd be an easier and more streamlined process of publishing rather than having the editors post these articles on Facebook.

Sophie: Maybe we should give this access after like 3 months of being at Observer for reporters.

### **Item 7: Finance Interviews**

Maddy: I've got heaps of interviews for tomorrow morning from 9:30 - 11:30. Rowey, you're coming to the first couple right?

Rowey: Yeah, I've just got a class at 10:30, so I can definitely make it to the first two.

Maddy: Awesome. I also do want to really explain the responsibilities so that they know what they're walking into.

Sophie: We've got a new question that we've added, which is "we have many stakeholders that we deal with, so what is a time in which you've had to handle a conflict?".

Rowey: At the end of the day, while a more stressful process, it definitely is necessary to outline the responsibilities and find the most suited option.

Maddy: I was just thinking if I gave them one of our old SSAF reports, gave them some time and then asked them to give me a presentation on it? I'm not too pressed about their math skills, it's more about their problem solving and communication styles.

Rowey: Something I have found really crucial has been when someone messes up a little and is able to come back from it quickly.

Sophie: I think also paying attention to how much someone talks and thinks and shares what they think. Getting a vibe check for someone's critical thinking skills is definitely an asset.

### **Item 8: Potential meeting with Woroni re: "duplication of services" and meeting with Will Burfoot**

Rowey: Sophie, Darcy and I met last week with Will Burfoot. It was good overall. He's very pro-observer and pro us remaining in funding. He really wants ANUSA to be able to help and give support to the observer. We found out that Woroni and ANUSA have quite a longstanding relationship that we were not previously aware of. He was pretty generous. If we need any equipment or anything, we're welcome to ask. There's also potentially been talking around the SSAF council around the redistribution of accounts. He also acknowledged that he's heard about the duplication of services talk surrounding us and Woroni, and to keep that in mind. I think we should therefore try to build a relationship with Woroni from now on. I think that potentially having a meeting with Claudia would be beneficial.

She: I don't know how big their content team is but it might be worth having a full content team meeting?

Sophie: Their content team is quite expansive from what I know.

Rowey: I know that there are definitely many teams in Woroni.

Sophie: Maybe then it would be good to just email Claudia and ask for the four of us to meet.

Rowey: Yeah definitely would be beneficial. I know that everyone on this team knows that we aren't actually a duplication of services, but I think clearing that air will be beneficial.

Sophie: Especially because we have one hard-lined thing that we do and we only have one overlap with Woroni.

Rowey: Awesome, so moving forward I'll send Claudia a message and we'll go from there.

### **Item 9: Lanyards**

Darcy: Got a quote from the people at Lanyard direct. For 100 cards, it'll cost \$140. They're made of recycled plastic bottles which is pretty good. I've sent them the logo and asked them to add a media pass on the card.

Rowey: Are you at the stage where you can confirm that Darcy? Is there more you need to do?

Darcy: I've got the quote for now and just need to send the visuals they send to me to the board to decide.

Maddy: That amount is so fine.

Thanks Darcy!

### **Item 10: Newsletter**

Darcy: I did a little mockup newsletter thing. Just to get a sense of what it would look like. I'll just share my screen to show you. First page could probably have a summary sort of thing and then articles. Didn't have time to do a puzzle!

Sophie: My thoughts as well Darcy are just to have a conversation with how the visual team would want this to be done.

She: I think the easiest way to do this would be to make a brief, say how you want it done and let James do his magic.

Sophie: Would it be too ambitious to do an end of march wrap up?

She: That would be a little ambitious.

Rowey: We could do an end of term 1?

Sophie: In terms of setting up a mailing list Anneysha would that be doable?

Anneysha: Yeah definitely, as long as it's promoted on our socials now.

She: We can definitely do this and give James about a week or a bit more to play around with it.

Rowey: Should we do this monthly or bi-weekly?

All: Definitely monthly.

She: Should there be a prize for whoever solves the puzzle?

Saffron: I think we could definitely publish their names at the bottom of the newsletter.

Darcy: I think the main concern would be that no one ends up reading this.

She: I think it'll be fine as long as we start promoting this now and over the next 2 weeks.

Rowey: So we just need to put out a google form which gets people's emails?

Anneysha: Yeah. Preferred name and email.

Darcy: We could also potentially contact Will Burfoot in an effort to get the word out?

Sophie: Great idea.

Rowey: Darcy if you want to put out the form, I can email Will and She if you can potentially make a graphic for socials?

## **Item 11: Other Business**

### ***Team survey***

Mack: Last one we did was 2022. Ryan stopped doing it and then I wasn't given it through handover. As I was going through the Community Exec files I remembered doing this with Darlene and thought it would be a good idea to bring back. Thoughts and feelings on this?

Rowey: Thoughts and feelings, were there to be complaints, how would we address that?

Maddy: You could put somewhere at the bottom to say "if you have any complaints, put them here with your email".

Mack: One complaint previously received was when a team member contacted me and asked for an editor to step down due to personal differences. The result was that a conversation was held and the complaint was baseless.

Saffron: We should maybe put complaints forward to the board to handle collectively for transparency.

Rowey: I definitely think that complaints and problems need to be handled more neutrally. For the moment I think the results should come to the board. Just as a position of community exec, when I joined I was under the impression that you were responsible for those sorts of issues being resolved.

Mack: Over the years of being in this role as the team has expanded, I've sort of absorbed a HR role.

Rowey: Do you find that unreasonable?

Mack: No. Would we need to make a new form for the complaints?

Rowey: Yes definitely. Is everyone able to see peoples' replies?

Maddy: No, responses are limited just to the board.



### ***Upcoming social***

Mack: Now that we're more financially stable, I'd really like to do another social. We won't do badger again I think. I want to go to a trampoline park.

Maddy: No sorry. Due to accessibility issues, transportation costs, tickets and ultimately liability will be too risky.

Mack: Okay otherwise I'm thinking murder mystery, baking, etc. I'll definitely have a chat with you about being able to have a social.

Maddy: I also think that using SSAF funding on a trampoline park would look a bit strange.

### ***Inspection***

Mack: This will be next Friday the 28th. Who can come?

Anneysha: What time will this be?

Mack: She actually didn't say. I might email her tomorrow and ask her to give me a 2 hour window.

Rowey: We definitely have things that we need to ask for from then, for example our lease agreement.

Sophie: Yeah, the dishwasher being broken is just not a job we have to deal with.

Rowey: We definitely need the lease agreement. Because Will Burfoot made a point that our rent gets practically funneled back to the university. I think knowing our obligations is really important. I do think that the 12 grand that could be spent on honoraria or other equipment is going to the university, is important to think about.

Maddy will be there. Thank you Maddy.

### ***Aircon***

Mack: The aircon repair will be \$380 for the first hour and \$180 for the subsequent hours.

Maddy: Okay cool. I will be present to ensure it's getting done properly.

Rowey: Okay so this Friday they're fixing and cleaning it?

Mack: I don't know, they said they'll clean it and give me a certificate.

### ***Video articles***

Mack: You know how ABC publishes on TikTok etc. and makes it fun? Thinking about that. Reporters would record and edit it of course but visual would overlook it.

She: Yes, happy to do this, maybe this can be a semester 2 project.

### ***Follow up: Facebook Access***

Anneysha: Looked into the permissions. I can give you the permissions but I cannot remove Will as stands right now. Just something to think about with the increase in numbers etc. I'm just worried about accounts with access being compromised etc.

### ***Follow up: Cybersec training when?***

Sophie: I think post-getting Facebook permissions.

Mack: Should we make it if you come to the workshop then you're eligible for Facebook permissions?

**Meeting closed:** 7:59pm

**Next board meeting:**